HIS Mess!

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Get Down and Dirty

I'm reading a book right now that's called Be Last. It is written by Jeremy Kingsley. I'm sure that the next few blogs will be dealing a lot on the subject of being humble. I have been feeling a lot of conviction while reading this book. This blog is going to be about the day Jesus got down and dirty. The story takes place in John 13:1-17

The story takes place just before the Passover Feast. Jesus already knew that the time had come for him to return to God. He had already knew who would betray him. Before the meal you would be clean from taking a bath before going to the meal, the only thing that would not be clean would be you feet from walking to get to the meal. Usually a servant would wash your feet for you as you came in to the meal, but at this feast there were no servants. So Jesus go up from his spot at the table, took off his shirt and wrapped a towel around his waist. The them filled a basin with water and got down and cleaned his disciples' feet. Only one disciple, Simon Peter, said anything to Jesus about it. You see, it was not the job to have, being a foot washer. It was the job that the servants of the servants had to do. You didn't want to be the one stuck with that job. Yet, here is the One. The son of God, getting down and dirty. He does this to make a point, and even tells them to do the same thing for one another. Well and guess what that last verse, John 13:17, ( promise I didn't plan this ) it says this " Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them." WOW!


So tonight I'm listening to some of the thing the youth group is saying about HAVING to come to church. What if someone made me mad, what if I want to sleep in, what if I don't like the music...I'm just saying, if our Savior who gave up everything to come here, be born in a smelly, dirty barn, live among sinful people who talked bad about him all the time, and then be hung on a cross and die for our sin, not his sins, our sins; if He can get down and dirty with the dirtiest jobs for us why cant we do it for one another? Well we can if we stop putting us first. We need to put Jesus first and we need to have a heart for others like He does.

My prayer: Lord, I just come to you tonight to ask you to give me a heart like yours. I want to serve you by putting others before me. Even if it isn't fun. Even if it is embarrassing and the last thing I want to be doing. I don't really like to get down and dirty but if that's what you say to do I want to do it. Help me not to worry about what other people may say about me. Please, Holy Spirit speak louder than everyone else so I can only hear your voice above all. Thank you for all my christian friends. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed your last two posts....very well said and written. Just beautiful! I look forward to seeing God work in your life as you start this new walk. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post! We live in a time where people want the most for the least cost and effort. I appreciate all your help.

    ReplyDelete